Why Acrylic Display Cases Are Better Than Glass
You’ve made the wise decision that using display cases to protect your valuable artwork is the best solution for your museum or art gallery. Next, you will need to determine the best type of material for showcasing your items. In most cases, this will entail choosing between glass or acrylic.
While you are undoubtedly familiar with glass, you might not have an understanding of what acrylic is — and why it is probably the better solution for keeping your pieces out of harm’s way.
What Is Acrylic?
Acrylics are transparent plastic materials that often serve as a substitute for glass. The two types of acrylic used in manufacturing applications are:
- Injection-molded: a transparent thermoplastic used in the production of items such as sunglasses and bakery bins.
- Hand-crafted acrylic: provides a crystal-clear appearance that makes it the ideal choice for upscale products such as artwork display cases.
Acrylic vs. Glass Display Cases: Which Is the Better Option for Artwork?
A brief comparison between acrylic and glass indicates that the former is the better choice for artwork display cases. The advantages of acrylic display cases include:
- Clarity: If you have used glass cases in the past, you’ve probably noticed a greenish tint that detracts from the appearance of the piece. Acrylic is a tint-free material that ensures an undistorted visual presentation.
- Strength: If you drop or knock over an acrylic display, you might experience some cracks or scratches, but nothing worse. Glass, on the other hand, breaks easily, which can cause irreparable damage to the case and possibly to the artwork.
- Safety: Shatterproof acrylic also does not pose the safety concerns of glass — you won’t have to worry about shards of broken glass cutting staff members or visitors.
- Moldability: You can mold acrylic into just about any shape you can imagine, providing unlimited options for creating custom display cases.
- Lightweight: Acrylic is lighter than glass, which makes it easier to transport your display cases around your facility.
Contact Pedestal Source to learn more about the benefits of acrylic display cases. We can also provide a free quote for a beautiful custom acrylic case for your museum or gallery.