How to Create a Focal Point in a Room
Does your living space, office, or retail space provide an inviting focal point for the eye? Here’s a little experiment for you to try. The next time you walk into a room, make a note of the first thing that catches your eye. Maybe it’s a fireplace, a prominent lighting fixture, a work of art or a unique piece of furniture. It might also be a not-so-attractive feature, such as an unappealing paint color, an eerie painting on the wall or an outlandish shag carpet that has been out of style for decades.
For better or worse, this standout feature is what interior design professionals refer to as a “room focal point.” Understanding that you never get a second chance to make a first (and favorable) impression, creating a visually appealing focal point is essential if you want a room to make a positive impact on your visitors. One of the simplest and most effective options is to use display specific furniture to showcase an art collection, professional award, or retail items.
Use the Following Focal Point Ideas to Create “Wow” Factor in Any Room
Ways to create a focal point in a room range from the simple to the creative:
- Oversized furniture: For some people, the first thing they think about when they enter a room is where they are going to sit. An oversized sofa or chair is sure to draw their interest.
- Bright colors: Bold, yet tasteful, paint or wallpaper will brighten any room and create a warm, inviting ambiance that people will remember.
- Display a collection: Do you have an antique collection, an assortment of valuable sports memorabilia or a group of eclectic objects like ceramic penguins or toy soldiers? An imaginatively arranged display of these items can make for a memorable room focal point.
- Light fixtures: Make a trip to your local home improvement or lighting store and you will find numerous creative fixtures that can revitalize the look and feel of any room.
- Pedestals: A pedestal is perfect for displaying artwork or a one-of-a-kind item. You can place it anywhere that works with the rest of the room’s decor.
Pedestal Source offers a wide assortment of attractive pedestals that can help you create a focal point in a room. Check out our collection today!